[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Sep 19 18:43:33 PDT 2013

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:49:34 +0200
"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 20:33:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Plus, they don't include quite enough Unicode glyphs for my
> > needs (actually, do they even support unicode at all?!).
>
> not really, I don't think so anyway. They (at least on my box)
> have some iso 8859-1 characters, but not beyond that.

I've always felt text rendering engines should be able to automatically
fallback to another font for any characters that aren't in the selected
font. (Ideally with a user-configurable chain of fallbacks, similar to
CSS, but selected on a per-character basis.) Because showing the right
character in a mismatched font has *got* to be better than not showing
the character at all and a generic "missing font" glyph.

Besides, even with the same font, it's not as if there's really all
*that* much consistency between, ex., latin, cyrillic, hiragana,
hangool, arabic, aincient egyptian...uhhh...klingon...etc.

> BTW I'm pretty sure Unicode has a few user defined sections that
> would be ideal for this. You set a bitmap for your user defined
> characters and then send them right out.

Unicode even has (experimental, last I checked) pages defined for a
variety of common (and not-so-common) non-text symbols. The four
playing card suits, methods of transportation, etc.