Qt Creator and D

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 19:10:30 PDT 2013

On 20 September 2013 08:09, F i L <witte2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Manu wrote:
>
>> I was fairly impressed with kdevelop upon recent impressions last weekend.
>>
>> Does it support incremental linking and edit-and-continue? (or is there
>> ANY
>> other compiler+IDE out there that does?)
>> If it does, I'll look at it very very seriously.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "edit-and-continue".

Edit-and-continue is what MS calls the obvious extension from incremental
linking where you can re-link your exe while it's running and paused in a
debugger, and then continue debugging the current process with the new exe
after it links your code changes.
it's one of visual studio's most valuable tools.

I don't know if it does incremental linking, but I thought that sort of
> thing was more of a compiler/build-system feature, and IDK enough about
> GCC/Clang or CMake (what KDev is designed around) to know about it's
> features there. The only language I know for a fact has that built-in is
> Nimrod.

It requires support from various stages in the pipeline and gui, but it's
been available for a decade from MS. Surely someone else has bothered to
copy it? (assuming it was invented by MS?)

I only work on one C++ project, so I am in no way an expert on the language
> or it's tools. I'm also fairly new to KDevelop, so I'm not the person to
> question here. By "comparable to VS in many ways", I was referring to
> KDevelop's debugging, intellisense, code refactoring, syntax highlighting,
> general interface, and project/session management. All of which I've found
> to be roughly on-par with Visual Studios in my experience (granted I've
> barely used VS 2012 & 2013 is out soon).

Debugging is the most important feature an IDE offers by far, and it's only
half-implemented if it doesn't support edit-and-continue. Everything else
looked good to me in kdevelop. I'll definitely give it a bit more time.
Sadly there seems to be no push for D in kdevelop though :(