Qt Creator and D

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 21:53:16 PDT 2013

Manu wrote:
> Edit-and-continue is what MS calls the obvious extension from
> incremental
> linking where you can re-link your exe while it's running and
> paused in a
> debugger, and then continue debugging the current process with
> the new exe
> after it links your code changes.
> it's one of visual studio's most valuable tools.

I see, I didn't know VS was capable of that, but it doesn't sound
very useful for large projects which take a lot of time to
compile (which I'm sure is important to you folks at Remedy).

I figured it was something along those lines though, so I tested
editing a file while stopped on a breakpoint, and then running it
and it didn't work. It's possible there's some switch i needed to
hit, or that it would work with Clang/LLDB, but I doubt it (don't
quote me on that though, you should ask the KDE folks).

> It requires support from various stages in the pipeline and
> gui, but it's
> been available for a decade from MS. Surely someone else has
> bothered to
> copy it? (assuming it was invented by MS?)

I wouldn't know. You'll probably get a lot more information on
what's available from asking the GCC, LLVM, and KDevelop IRCs.

> Debugging is the most important feature an IDE offers by far,
> and it's only
> half-implemented if it doesn't support edit-and-continue.
> Everything else
> looked good to me in kdevelop. I'll definitely give it a bit
> more time.
> Sadly there seems to be no push for D in kdevelop though :(

Make sure to ask someone more informed than me before you write
it off, but I'm guessing this is an area Linux dev tools are
lacking in compared to Windows.

In Gabe Newell's recent talk at LinuxCon, he mentioned Valve is
interested in make Linux a more friendly environment for game
developers. To that end, they're working on two different C/C++
debuggers (one for LLVM, I forget the other) and I'm guessing
they wouldn't feel the need to do that unless they where unhappy
with the current situation compared to what developers expect
from Windows. Hopefully their efforts are fruitful in the near
future.

I've been using Linux and FOSS tools for nearly two years now,
and I'm surprised I'd never heard about KDevelope until only a
few months ago. It's a great IDE with a lot of nice features
(even has Sublime-style text overview) and I hope D gets more
attention from the KDev/Kate teams in the future.