Will Java go native?

Nikita Lipsky nlipsky at excelsior-usa.com
Thu Sep 19 23:02:33 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 14:28:04 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 13:05:17 UTC, PauloPinto
> wrote:
>> Wrong. The Java AOT compilers that target embedded systems
>> produce static binaries.
>>

> I don't think that address anything. As long as you CAN
> dynamically load override, then you can't optimize AOT, and if
> you can't then, it isn't java, but some kind of java like
> dialect that is amputed of some of its capabilities.
If the most of your classes are known before run and are loaded
by known to AOT compiler classloader (99.99% of your classes
usually), you can optimize them with AOT. For other classes (that
appear at runtime only or loaded by unknown classloader) JVM with
AOT may have JIT or interpreter. Excelsior JET runtime has JIT,
GCJ has interpreter for this purpose.