[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 23:56:29 PDT 2013

On 20 September 2013 14:23, Nick Sabalausky <
SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:11:51 +1000
> Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 20 September 2013 00:25, H. S. Teoh <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 03:04:44PM +0200, Wyatt wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > du ~ | sort -r -n | less
> > >

> > This is exactly why linux is shit.
> >

> > :-)
>
> It's exactly why those not fluent in Linux believe Linux is shit ;)
>
> If all someone knows is HyperCard or AppleScript, D is going to look
> like shit. "It sucks because I don't understand it, because it's not
> at all like English!" When really, being so much different is part of
> what *allows* it to be so much better, to surpass the limitations of
> the more familiar models.
>
> That said, there is a factor of learning curve and it is initially very
> intimidating.

When I was living in Finland, I NEVER heard a Finn go around saying
"English is shit, Finnish is way better! You just don't understand it, you
obviously need to take the time to learn it and then you'll see the
light!". Funnily enough, they all learn English. This is so they can talk
with... everybody else ;)

It might be fine for the few that know it, but the rest don't want to know
it, don't want to invest the time to learn it, and have no reason to do so.
This isn't a very good argument for why Linux is awesome, it's really just
evidence that Linux is completely inaccessible. I don't consider that a
positive attribute of basically anything.
I don't think there's any good reason for that line to make so little
sense. If the argument is that typing more characters is too hard and time
consuming, I'd then raise the question as to whether typing characters into
a shell is the best interface in the first place...?

Surely the amount of time invested into learning linux at that level, if
rather invested in working on a productive AND user-friendly solution to
your actual problem that the majority of people could also use... would
that be a better use of time? (not only for yourself, but for everyone?)

I like the idea of Linux, I'd like it to succeed, but I think the key
problem with Linux is precisely this sort of thinking.
The users/developers of Linux hold it back. I think they erroneously think
it's awesome, and INTENTIONALLY write software with interfaces like this,
thereby deliberately isolating themselves from everyone else, and then
wonder why everyone else isn't interested...

Ubuntu has done a lot to help in recent years, but whenever I use it, I
still can't get past the feeling that it's all just a facade. If any single
microscopic little thing goes wrong, then you're back at square-1.

I had a video card driver problem the other day. The bundled auto-update
app failed, and totally broke my computer.
I had to download kernel source, and run some scripts to compile some sort
of shim that made the video driver compatible with my kernel to get it
working again... absolutely astounding.