Bartosz Milewski seems to like D more than C++ now :)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 03:47:38 PDT 2013

20-Sep-2013 14:00, Jacob Carlborg пишет:
> On 2013-09-20 11:37, Szymon Gatner wrote:
>
>> If only std algorithms took containers (by that I mean things that
>> container for accepts too) as arguments (and not iterators)... even in
>> the form of new functions like foreach_all, transform_all etc.
>
> Can't a container be a range as well?

For Christ sake no, no and no. For starters range skips/drops elements
when iterating, and thusly iteration has its own state that is useless
for a container otherwise.

The idea of "contange" spreads like virus, no matter how abominable the
end result is. The fact that slices sometimes look like containers (BTW
ill-suited for anything beyond primitives/PODish stuff )  must be the
corner stone of this belief. Strengthened on the motto of trying to make
user defined types to mimic behavior of built-ins it leads to a school
of thought that it's fine to blend ownership and access.

TL;DR: Suboptimal, unnatural and error prone are keywords.

--
Dmitry Olshansky