Will Java go native?

Thiez thiezz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 04:21:48 PDT 2013

On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 10:41:39 UTC, Bruno Medeiros
wrote:
> Even without seeing that article, I can well believe it. It
> seems they shun away completely from compile-time
> optimizations, and not much reasoning is given to that. It
> seems almost a purely political/marketing move: like if they
> want to push the mantra that JITing is the be all and end all
> of compiler optimization, and doing any kind of compile-time
> optimization would be admitting that compile-time is also
> important (and somehow making Java more prone to direct
> performance comparisons to other languages/platforms?)

Perhaps you're being a little paranoid. I think they don't want
to do optimization in the compiler because this would remove the
incentive/pressure to implement those optimizations in the JVM,
which is bad for all other languages/compilers that target the
JVM. For the JVM-ecosystem it is best if as many optimizations
possible are implemented in the JVM.

If you look at existing benchmarks Java is comparable to many
other languages/platforms with regard to performance.