Qt Creator and D

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Sep 20 05:22:50 PDT 2013

On 20/09/13 10:47, PauloPinto wrote:
> KDevelop and KDE always suffered a big push back from Linux and BSD developers,
> because of their C++ roots.
>
> Back when I did a few contributions to GTKmm, the GNOME community used to
> ostracize the project because it was being done in C++. There used to exist a
> few big C vs C++ flamewars back then

As I recall there was a bit of an ideological aspect around this.  The GNU
guidelines, written quite a long while ago, advocated using C rather than C++
where possible because it was more portable, and for some people this seems to
have turned into a religious dogma rather than a practical consideration (much
like kosher or halal, to be honest...).

> KDevelop was always seen as an IDE for KDE developers, nothing else.

Well, whatever the intent, if you want to install it you have to pull in a ton
of KDE dependencies, which is always annoying if you're on a different desktop
environment and don't use any other KDE applications.

I used it a fair bit -- albeit as a superpowered text editor rather than a true
IDE -- up until the switch to KDE 4, when the new release became very unstable
and prone to crashing (if I recall right it was the symbol parsing that would
fall over).

I'm sure it's a great IDE (the KDE devs have always been good at building really
functional software), but it doesn't seem an ideal target for cross-platform use.