Qt Creator and D

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 20 05:42:26 PDT 2013

On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 07:16:09 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Mmmm, a concept that I've always found completely amazing
> actually. How is
> it that Linux - truly an OS for developers (certainly not for
> end-users) -
> can consistently be plagued by the worst dev tools out there?
> Surely someone in the past 30-40 years get's frustrated at some
> stage,
> looks at what MS have been doing for over a decade, and think
> "shit, that's
> awesome, I'd like that too!".
> I'm actually amazed that MS managed to invent it in the first
> place. You'd
> think that Linux should have gotten to it first...

I guess there are 2 main reasons:

1)
culture - many of programmers who could have addressed that stick
to rather old-school development process and don't feel demand
for such stuff.

For example, when I have tried VS and found that feature I
thought "wow, neat". But I am only using debugger if something
crashes, relying on logging facilities otherwise -> forgot about
it next day until you have mentioned it in this thread :)

2)
lack of large projects (relatively to Windows). In smaller you
can always just recompile module in question so the benefit is
not that huge (and there are always other things to spend time
on).

Also it needs to be a collaboration between compiler, linker and
IDE and stuff like that is always tricky in uncontrolled
development environment ;)