[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 20 07:33:05 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:05:19PM +0200, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 12:16:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Uh... you do realize that this is because Linux actually *lets* you
> >fix things? If something like this happened on Windows, the only real
> >solution is to nuke the system from orbit and start from ground zero
> >again (i.e. reinstall). One can hardly expect that repairing a broken
> >car engine should require no thought.
>
> When was the last time you used Windows? Since Vista,

I haven't touched Windows since 98, so my experience is probably biased.
:)

> if a graphics driver crashes, I usually get a black screen for few
> seconds, then a nice window

Stop right there. When the graphics driver crashes, no window can be
displayed...

> saying "The GPU driver has crashed, windows has restarted it". If it
> really breaks, it's a matter of going into Safe Mode and installing
> the driver again. But overall, Windows is almost uncrashable as long
> as you don't have a defective device.

Windows is also unusable without a graphics mode to begin with.

> On Linux? hah, bad driver will lock you out of the system,

Ever heard of single-user mode? It's the same thing as "Safe Mode" (a
funny name, makes me think the system is normally unsafe), except that
it actually works when your graphics card doesn't work *at all*.
Windows' reliance on GUIs makes it almost impossible to fix when
something is wrong with the graphics adapter.

> installations regularly break. Closing the system? Oh let me just
> flash random gibberish that looks like memory corruption, then some
> log messages where it's "FATAL ERROR" every third line. No thanks, I
> prefer my stable system.

Never seen these problems before in the 15+ years I've been using Linux.
You must have been using a defective distro. ;-)

OTOH, I *rather* know about these so-called "fatal errors" (and fix
them!) than to live in utopic ignorance of the fact that something might
be wrong, all the while thinking that I'm using a "stable" system...
Maybe most people like to hide from problems and sweep them under the
carpet, but I prefer to be informed, even if it looks ugly on the
screen. But hey, each to his own.

The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world. -- Anonymous