[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 20 08:01:42 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:42:11PM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 14:34:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Stop right there. When the graphics driver crashes, no window can
> >be displayed...
>
> It restarts the driver or loads a simple, generic driver to work
> temporarily if that's impossible.

When the mouse is also not working, it's a very very painful experience
to repair Windows... (yes, it happened to me before, which is why I have
a deep distrust of GUI-reliant OSes -- and that includes Linux distros
that require GUI apps to configure).

> >Windows is also unusable without a graphics mode to begin with.
>
> Not necessarily true, the newer professional/server versions can
> work without a gui or headless, and any version can run with a
> minimal graphics mode (such as with a generic VESA driver - safe
> mode)

GUIs, especially the kind that comes with Windows, are unusable when
there's a problem with the mouse, for example. When things go wrong, I
really *really* prefer a completely minimal UI, that is, text mode with
no rodent dependence. What I find troublesome with Windows is that so
many system-level operations require GUI utilities to access. So when
the GUI doesn't work for any reason (bad graphics card/driver, mouse
problems, etc.), you're basically screwed.

Or at least, that was the state of things when I left the Windows world.
Things may have changed since. :-)

> or even command line off a recovery disk.

Well, the same can be said of Linux too. :)

It won't be covered in the book. The source code has to be useful for
something, after all. -- Larry Wall