Bartosz Milewski seems to like D more than C++ now :)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 08:09:43 PDT 2013

20-Sep-2013 18:13, Szymon Gatner пишет:

>> >For Christ sake no, no and no.
>>
>> [... Because that would be ...]
>>
>> > TL;DR: Suboptimal, unnatural and error prone are keywords.
>>
>> Then your question - Why would it be suboptimal?
>>
>> Which your second reply seem to clearly explain: extra state placed
>> where it doesn't belong. I can't easily correlate your two answers as
>> they look as if the second one answers questions of the first.
>> Anyhow we are in agreement here.
>
> Mind that "Can't a container be a range as well?" was not from me.

Yup, but it was what I was answering ... when you asked about why would
it be suboptimal... A container that is a range at the same time is
suboptimal, that's all.

> Still, moving computation over a range from for loop body into the range
> implementation (like filtering) incurs no performance penalty and has
> additional benefits of composability and maintainability. Do you mean
> that is suboptimal?

I made no statement on this I think. It shouldn't be ineffective.
The only problem with it that I foresee is that in order to take
advantage of vectorized SIMD in CPU it could be harder to auto-magically
vectorize such code for compiler.

For that matter I think e.g. providing explicitly a range of float4
fells like a better way to go.

--
Dmitry Olshansky