[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Sep 20 08:19:10 PDT 2013

Am 20.09.2013 16:05, schrieb JN:
> On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 12:16:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Uh... you do realize that this is because Linux actually *lets* you fix
>> things? If something like this happened on Windows, the only real
>> solution is to nuke the system from orbit and start from ground zero
>> again (i.e. reinstall). One can hardly expect that repairing a broken
>> car engine should require no thought.
>
> When was the last time you used Windows? Since Vista, if a graphics
> driver crashes, I usually get a black screen for few seconds, then a
> nice window saying "The GPU driver has crashed, windows has restarted
> it". If it really breaks, it's a matter of going into Safe Mode and
> installing the driver again. But overall, Windows is almost uncrashable
> as long as you don't have a defective device.
>
> On Linux? hah, bad driver will lock you out of the system, installations
> regularly break. Closing the system? Oh let me just flash random
> gibberish that looks like memory corruption, then some log messages
> where it's "FATAL ERROR" every third line. No thanks, I prefer my stable
> system.

I have a better one that happened to me this year.

For religious reasons the distribution developers (Ubuntu) push an half
done open source version of a wireless driver, that replaces the
existing binary blob from the manufacturer.

Afterwards you loose the ability to connect to routers that only talk IPv4.

--
Paulo