compiled code file size

captaindet 2krnk at gmx.net
Fri Sep 20 10:28:03 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-20 10:03, Duke Normandin wrote:
> I'm re-visiting the D language. I've compared the file sizes of 2 executables - 1 is compiled C code using gcc; the other is D code using dmd.
>
> helloWorld.d => helloWorld.exe = 146,972 bytes
> ex1hello.c => ex1-hello.exe = 5,661 bytes
>
> Why such a huge difference???
>
> Duke

maybe somehow related:

i have a short program using GtkD. the exe is
~3MB if compiled using dmd and linked to pre-built GtkD.lib (16MB)
~2MB if compiled via bud/build following up on all imports directly, no linking to pre-built lib

all compiler flags the same (-debug for exe, prebuilt lib is not debug but -O -inline -release). on windows.

/det