[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 20 12:16:25 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:24:21PM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
[...]
> one of the reasons I haven't played many new games this century is
> that they had already achieved gaming perfection in the 90's and I'd
> just prefer to replay them!)

I dunno, I find that my good memories of those old games are quite
tainted by nostalgia. I remember firing up dosbox recently and playing
through some of my old favorite games, and discovering to my chagrin
that they are actually *not* as fun as I remember them, and they had
many annoyances that have been eliminated in modern games. Of course,
they weren't *that* bad -- I still had fun playing them -- but the
playing experience doesn't quite measure up to what my memory tells me.
Which makes me wonder if perhaps *all* my good memories of the good ole
days are fabricated by nostalgia, and not by real gaming perfection.

Of course, it's also true that many modern-day games are rather weak on
the gameplay side in spite of the heavy eye-candy and multimedia sfx. I
find that my favorite modern-day games are either very thought-heavy
puzzles, or remakes of old school games that retain the good parts of
the old game mechanics while improving on the annoyances that used to
plague those old games. A good example of the latter is the Gurk series.
While not perfect, it's also a joy to boil the gameplay down to the bare
essentials so that you're focusing on actually *playing*, rather than
drowning in a multipedia theatre of snazzy 3D effects and surround sound
and doing more movie-watching than actually playing. But of course, Gurk
is pretty nostalgic too, so maybe my perceptions are also being colored
by that. Hmm. :-/

> Anywho, FF1, the graphics are beautiful and the music, needless to
> say, legendary. It really amazes me how much magic they did with a
> random noise channel and three beeps.
[...]

The most creative source of sound that I remember, was an Apple II game
that deliberately used the floppy drive to make a grinding sound (IIRC
during takeoff in a flight sim type game).

Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.