compiled code file size

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Sep 20 14:04:23 PDT 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 21:45:48 +0200
"Temtaime" <temtaime at gmail.com> wrote:

> Software MUST
> running almost ANYWHERE and consumes minimal resources.
>
> For example i hate 3dsmax developers when on my game's map it
> uses several GB of ram amd freezes sometimes, when Blender uses
> only 500 MB and runs fast. The only reason for me for use 3dsmax
> is more friendly contoling. But this is another story...
>
> Some users which doesn't have ""modern"" PC will hate your app
> too i think.
> One should optimize ALL things which he can to optimize.

I agree with what you're saying here, but the problem is we're looking
at a difference of only a few hundred k.

Heck, my primary PC was a 32-bit single-core right up until last year
(and I still use it as a secondary system), and I didn't care one bit if
a hello world was 1k or 1MB.

How many real world programs are as trivial as a hello world? A few
maybe, but not many. Certainly not enough to actually add up to
anything significant, unless maybe you happen to be running on a 286 or
such.

If we were talking about real-world D programs taking tens/hundreds of
MB more than they should, then that would be a problem. But they
don't. We're just talking about a few hundred k for an *entire* program.