[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Sep 20 15:19:25 PDT 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 16:07:35 +0200
"Wyatt" <wyatt.epp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 03:47:57 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> wrote:
> >
> > I got a good way into the first (before I got distracted and
> > stopped),
> > and I find it very impressive considering it's on a system that
> > competed
> > with the NES.
> >
> That's some classic 6502 vs. Z80 right there.  Master System
> especially set itself apart by having way more memory and better
> video hardware.  In general, Nintendo won by simply having better
> games (also, I prefer 2A03 sound to SN76489, though the YM2413 on
> the Mark III smokes both of them on the games that actually use
> it).

Plus better marketing. The only time I'd ever heard of SMS (or
SG-x0000 for that matter) was from a friend who had it *after* the
Genesis/MegaDrive was already out. But NES was all over TV and
such.

> But the real kicker with Phantasy Star in particular, is it came
> out three days _before_ Final Fantasy, yet if you compare them
> side-by-side it's not even a fair contest.

Yea. (At least in a technical sense, I haven't played FF1 for more than
a few minutes.) FF1 looks only a little more advanced than an Apple 2
game, but PS1 looks much closer the TG-16/PC-Engine that came way later.
And the 3D dungeons? There's Genesis games that had that and still
didn't look as good, and NES has *nothing* like it IIRC unless you
count Shadowgate, which was a completely different approach anyway
(albeit fantastic).

I didn't know PS1's/FF1's releases were three days apart though, or that
PS was first. That's interesting.

Although, I wasn't really into RPGs at the time, but I've heard
that Dragon Quest was the *major* RPG series at the time, not Final
Fantasy. From what little I've seen of both, that sounds about right.
But even still, Dragon Quest still seems almost Apple 2 in comparison
to Phantasy Star.