[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Sep 20 15:27:22 PDT 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:24:16 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> But then again, Opera didn't exactly provide a way to specify the
> order of font resolution either, so that didn't help. I agree that
> *sane* fallback fonts (with configurable fallback order!) would be
> much better than just a black blob of ink (or pixels).

Actually, I'm thinking now, maybe font fallbacks should be specified in
terms of "Font X's fallback is Font Y or otherwise Font Z". Ie, the
chain of fallbacks for missing glyphs should be a property of the font
itself. Obviously user-editable, *but* with sensible defaults, since
that would be a *lot* of fonts/fallbacks to manually configure.

> [...]
> > > BTW I'm pretty sure Unicode has a few user defined sections that
> > > would be ideal for this. You set a bitmap for your user defined
> > > characters and then send them right out.
> >
> > Unicode even has (experimental, last I checked) pages defined for a
> > variety of common (and not-so-common) non-text symbols. The four
> > playing card suits, methods of transportation, etc.
>
> That's no longer experimental. Even within the BMP alone (U+0 ..
> U+FFFF), there are entire codepages dedicated to symbols, dingbats,

Hey now, just 'cause someone wants to use non-text glyphs doesn't mean
you should go calling him a dingbat! ;)

(j/k, of course)