Qt Creator and D

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:46:50 PDT 2013

On 21 September 2013 07:06, F i L <witte2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Manu wrote:
>
>> I see, I didn't know VS was capable of that, but it doesn't sound very
>>> useful for large projects which take a lot of time to compile (which I'm
>>> sure is important to you folks at Remedy).
>>>

>> Actually, it's about a zillion times MORE useful for large projects. If
>> the
>> project is big, takes time to reboot/restart, and particularly in games
>> where you might need to run to a particular part of a level and perform
>> some bunch of actions to test the thing you're trying to debug in the
>> first
>> place.
>>

> Yes, I understand and agree. I made a typo. I meant to say: "..but it
> **does** sound very useful for large projects.."
>

>  Fair enough, but it's weird I should have to. Basic productivity tools
>> like
>> that should surely be known by users of the tools...
>> I'll just go and continue to assume that Visual Studio is still the only
>> viable option on any platform :P
>>

> Well, again, this isn't my area of experience. Professionally, I spend
> most my time in Kate/Inkscape/Gimp/Krita/**Blender working on front-end
> web development & graphics art. I have a long history of personal
> Direct3D/OpenGL projects and game logic, but in recent years that has been
> in C# and D (and some Nimrod), and It's been months since I've really had
> time to spend on anything there.
>
> That said, based on other's responses so far, my bet is that no Linux has
> these features you need, yet. So your assumptions about VS are probably
> correct.
>

>  Mmmm, a concept that I've always found completely amazing actually. How is
>> it that Linux - truly an OS for developers (certainly not for end-users) -
>>

> This I actually disagree with that on a couple of levels.
>
> First, "edit and continue" is really only a absolute necessity for the AAA
> game industry (and some others).. since the ability to make changes without
> having to re-navigate the game to the area being effected is a crucial time
> saver. Linux hasn't really been a consumer platform before Android, and
> Android most games (especially in the earlier days) a simple enough that
> doesn't matter as much. Not to mention you can develop Android apps on
> non-Linux platforms just fine.

It's certainly missed in my professional environment, but even outside
that, it's still super handy and saves a lot of time. Particularly if you
are in the habit of using it.
Do you remember when you first got a mouse with a mouse wheel? You thought
it was kinda cool, but I'll bet you didn't use it that much... you weren't
in the habit of it.
Have you tried to use a mouse without a mouse wheel recently? ... it's like
that.

So Linux hasn't really *needed* the ability to edit-and-continue until just
> now, when Android-based systems are becoming more powerful, and Valve is
> planning it's migration to Linux. Any company assessing the development
> cost of implementing the features into the tool-chains probably came to the
> conclusion it wasn't worth the effort.

No one *needs* to save their time and energy. It's just nice, and once
you're in the habit of not wasting time, wasting time seems like an
annoying waste of time ;)

Second, Linux is quickly becoming a platform that's fully fit for
> end-users. I've installed Gnome & Unity systems on my friends and family's
> computers, and for the most part they where very comfortable with the
> overall experience - going so far as to praise it as an "upgrade" in the
> cases where XP SP3 ate all their outdated computer's ram, and Linux did
> not. New distro's like Elementary OS present a very balanced and
> user-friendly desktop environment as well.

I agree... if they work (refer to my auto-update fail the other day).
Linux UI still feels largely like a facade to me. If ANYTHING goes wrong,
you are back at square 1, if you're not an expert, you probably can't fix
it.
But it's definitely getting there.

Linux can also be very pretty and feature-rich, and, as a geek, I like the
> available choice in DEs Linux offers rather than being stuck with the
> sometimes unsavory "advancements" Windows makes in their design (i'm
> looking at you, Windows 8).

Yeah, maybe. I personally couldn't care less. I almost always use the
default on any system.

Here is a screenshot of my computer:
> http://reign-studios.com/**screenshots/arch-linux-**screenshot.png<http://reign-studios.com/screenshots/arch-linux-screenshot.png>
>
> I would have a hard time taking you seriously if you claim that isn't a
> rather pretty environment ;-)

It looks basically identical to my default mint15 install... ? Dunno,
doesn't really affect me.

And for features, I have a multi-monitor/multi-resolution AMD Catalyst
> setup with a HD 7850 (a worse-case scenario for X11 drivers), and what's
> funny is that the art tools I use (Blender, Krita, MyPaint, Inkscape)
> actually run much faster on Linux than Windows (mostly because it's their
> target platform). KDE works great with AMD Tear-free desktop, so no vsync
> or lags. So I am very happy with Linux as a platform in general.
>
> There are still horror stories to be sure, but I think the biggest hurdle
> Linux faces today is simply the fact that it doesn't run Windows software
> or come pre-installed on laptops at Walmart.. (the corner cases exist
> because there aren't enough consumers worth supporting).. It will take a
> massive amount of advertising to sell Linux as a consumer alternative to
> Mac and Windows (and it will require being sold like Mac, where the OS is
> sold with sleek hardware that's drivers functions well with it). So far,
> only Google has been able to accomplish this, but hopefully Valve
> inadvertently helps Linux Desktop adoption as well by encouraging it as a
> gaming platform.

I still think the biggest problem by far is that only an expert can fix it
when anything goes wrong. And things *always* go wrong. It might seem
trivial if you love computer OS's at the command line and text file level,
but I think to most users it just appears to be unstable and tedious.
It's getting better. I want it to succeed... I really do.