Qt Creator and D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Sep 20 23:19:50 PDT 2013

Am 21.09.2013 07:10, schrieb F i L:
> Manu wrote:
>> It's certainly missed in my professional environment, but even outside
>> that, it's still super handy and saves a lot of time. Particularly if you
>> are in the habit of using it.
>> Do you remember when you first got a mouse with a mouse wheel? You
>> thought
>> it was kinda cool, but I'll bet you didn't use it that much... you
>> weren't
>> in the habit of it.
>> Have you tried to use a mouse without a mouse wheel recently? ... it's
>> like
>> that.
>
> Yes, I agree. My point wasn't that it isn't a convenience, only that
> linux tech companies with the ability to implement it probably haven't
> seen it as a worth-while effort (financially speaking) in the past, due
> to it not effecting their development practices as much as it may
> effects other industries (like major game creators).
>
> I hope, as I'm sure you do, that, due to Valve's interest in Linux,
> better debugging features will be seen as more of a priority. It will be
> a brighter day for Linux when engine designers of AAA game companies
> don't have anything to complain about when it comes to developing on
> Linux ;)
>

>> Linux UI still feels largely like a facade to me. If ANYTHING goes wrong,
>> you are back at square 1, if you're not an expert, you probably can't
>> fix it.
>
> I recommend trying Elementary OS sometime (also, keep an eye on
> Manjaro). There are surely more automatic self-correcting feature on
> Windows, but Linux is getting better here I think. There has simply been
> more man-hours put into consumer-level features on Windows.
>

>> I still think the biggest problem by far is that only an expert can
>> fix it
>> when anything goes wrong. And things *always* go wrong.
>
> I think you may be exaggerating a bit. I've never had any outstanding
> issues with distro's like Unbuntu on my machine, but then, it's subject
> a lot to the quality of your drivers, which sometimes get neglected a
> bit due to linux's lack of popularity in the desktop consumer space.
> I've had good success installing on Intel laptops, for instance, and bad
> experience installing on AMD laptops. But I think you'd find the same
> was probably true (or worse) with Mac. Which is why I mentioned the only
> way to sell Linux would be to put it in a fancy box and paint it's face
> with some expensive advertising (just like Mac and Sony do with BSD,
> only someone needs to do it more openly).
>
> I do agree, there are some areas Linux needs more time to bake, the
> Display Server is a good example (and PulseAudio), also things like more
> user-friendly Software Centers. But projects like Wayland, Gnome,
> Ubuntu, and Elementary are doing good work, and there are some good
> improvements on the way in the next year or two I think.

The sad thing is that although Linux distributions have progressed quite
a lot, I would have said something like what you are saying back in
1994-2005 time frame.

Nowadays I just use Windows on my main laptop with a Linux VM on it.

I do have a small netbook with Linux on it for travelling, but I was
lucky Asus sells laptops with Linux distributions in Germany. And even
then, as I described a few times, the drivers got borked due to FOSS
religious decisions.

This to say I stopped caring about dual boot and playing around with
configuration files. Either it works out of the box, or I have better
things to do with my time.

--
Paulo