Qt Creator and D

Arjan arjan at ask.me
Sat Sep 21 01:20:29 PDT 2013

>> This I actually disagree with that on a couple of levels.
>>
>> First, "edit and continue" is really only a absolute necessity for the
>> AAA
>> game industry (and some others).. since the ability to make changes
>> without
>> having to re-navigate the game to the area being effected is a crucial
>> time
>> saver.

Surely not only for games and some others, I is really a very useful
feature of MSVC debugging, which will save lots of precious time once one
starts using it. I can attest to that. Another useful feature is the ease
in which one might adjust the instruction pointer. I'm using those two
quite often in concert, which is really a time(and ass)saver.

For D to gain more traction (at least on the windows platforms) it has to
have these kind of features.
So I'm really happy to see what is happening twith visual-D!

> It's certainly missed in my professional environment, but even outside
> that, it's still super handy and saves a lot of time. Particularly if you
> are in the habit of using it.

+100

Well you could give this a try: http://windows.kde.org/

> I still think the biggest problem by far is that only an expert can fix
> it
> when anything goes wrong. And things *always* go wrong. It might seem
> trivial if you love computer OS's at the command line and text file
> level,
> but I think to most users it just appears to be unstable and tedious.
> It's getting better. I want it to succeed... I really do.

Although I'm a long time FreeBSD/Linux and KDE user (my primairy OS's) I
have to agree. There is a reason for the rise of Apple products. Most
heard non techies comment: "It just works".