D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Sep 21 12:47:06 PDT 2013

On 9/21/2013 12:38 PM, eles wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 September 2013 at 18:55:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 9/21/2013 11:03 AM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
>>
>> test.c:4: error: overflow in enumeration values
>
> It would be difficult to make the front-end track also the column number where
> it encountered (estimated) the error?

That's gcc, and 4 is the line number (and the wrong line number) of the error.
No column number.

> This will make error messages a bit more clear (and in the line of thos in gcc),
> especially for long code lines (where you could have, for example, several
> instructions on the line).
>
> At the beginning, until the feature is really implemented, the front-end could
> always provide "column=1", ie stick with current approach.
>
> But this will help the gdc/ldc-implementations to be in line with the messages
> provided by gcc and clang.

Tracking the column number is certainly doable, but it comes at a cost of memory
consumption and some compile speed, since it has to be tracked in every token. I
used to do it in the Digital Mars C compiler, but it was of only marginal
utility and I dropped it.