D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

eles eles at eles.com
Sat Sep 21 14:03:52 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 21 September 2013 at 19:47:08 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/21/2013 12:38 PM, eles wrote:
>> On Saturday, 21 September 2013 at 18:55:46 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> On 9/21/2013 11:03 AM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
>>>
>>> test.c:4: error: overflow in enumeration values
>>
>> It would be difficult to make the front-end track also the
>> column number where
>> it encountered (estimated) the error?
>
> That's gcc, and 4 is the line number (and the wrong line
> number) of the error. No column number.

I knew that.

>> This will make error messages a bit more clear (and in the
>> line of thos in gcc),
>> especially for long code lines (where you could have, for
>> example, several
>> instructions on the line).
>>
>> At the beginning, until the feature is really implemented, the
>> front-end could
>> always provide "column=1", ie stick with current approach.
>>
>> But this will help the gdc/ldc-implementations to be in line
>> with the messages
>> provided by gcc and clang.
>
> Tracking the column number is certainly doable, but it comes at
> a cost of memory consumption and some compile speed, since it
> has to be tracked in every token. I used to do it in the
> Digital Mars C compiler, but it was of only marginal utility
> and I dropped it.

See this thread, pls:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/vtpcxubtuquvelsofafy@forum.dlang.org

Also, this link ("C family") for colors and caret:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.9/changes.html

clang implemented this and pressure was put on gcc to do the same.

Good and clear diagnostic messages/display are of big help, I
think.