D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Sep 21 14:12:54 PDT 2013

On 9/21/13 1:06 PM, bearophile wrote:
> Jakob Bornecrantz:
>
>> On the other
>> hand unstable for that matter, none of those pages really
>> convey that shit _IS_ going to break every new compiler
>> release, proceed with caution.
>
> I agree, and in my opinion this should be fixed adding a small note to
> the D home page, that explains that you should expect every new D
> version to break your older code and that someday this will stop. Is
> Andrei agreeing on this small homepage change?

I'm ambivalent because the matter is fuzzy. It is factually true that
new releases will break code. On the other hand, that is the case with
most compiler releases even for mature languages (at Facebook upgrading
across minor gcc releases _always_ entails significant disruption). On
the third hand (sic), there are companies and projects using D in the
real world so stating that is unstable would do little else than either
shoo people away for no good reason.

Andrei