std.allocator needs your help

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 03:17:18 PDT 2013

On 23 September 2013 15:37, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> On 9/22/2013 9:19 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> Following this train of thought, I can imagine a really nice end goal
>> would be
>> that the existing GC is effectively plugged in as a library, and people
>> can
>> easily substitute it for their own GC if they want/need to.
>>

> It already is, and has been from the beginning. Rainer, for example, uses
> a different GC for VisualD.
>
> dmd knows naught about the GC.

Sure, true. But little things like separate it into its own lib, so you can
easily link a different one, or not link one at all.
Also, what about language support? How much language support is there
currently?
I don't think I could currently write the ref-counting GC that I'd like
without extensive language support.
inc/dec ref calls would need to be inserted all over the place by he
compiler, and optimiser would need to know how to remove redundant inc/dec
sequences.