[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 04:52:30 PDT 2013

On 21/09/2013 16:07, Manu wrote:
> I'm also not 'average-joe-numskull', at least I don't like to think I
> am, but that doesn't mean I want to know how a car is built, and then in
> turn how each individual part was built, and how to fix it, before I can
> have confidence it will get me to Sydney in one piece.
> I don't actually really care about how linux works, or any of the little
> bits and pieces that form it's awkward foundation... and I shouldn't
> need to in order to like the premise of an open system, and want to use
> it on that merit alone.
> I don't actually enjoy OPERATING a computer, I enjoy the creative
> process of working, and getting work done. Solving interesting problems.
> If the computer gets in my way, it has failed me at some level.
> That might sound strange coming from a software engineer, but I guess
> that's how I see it. I just don't have the patience to mess with my OS
> anymore.

My feelings exactly. I learned about Linux and studied it when I was in
high-school (Windows 98/Me era), and I was quite excited about it.
Windows was more shite those days, and I knew Linux was not for the
average user, but I thought that once I learned it well enough (shell,
network, configuring partitions, automounting, the X server, etc.), it
would be worthwhile to use.
That wasn't the case unfortunately. There was always new stuff that
would come up that you would need to learn how to configure, or need to
thinker, or there would be shortcomings in application functionality.
After a certain point it was just annoying. It might be "fun" for people
who get kicks out of working the innards of a system and being closer to
how things work, but on my computer I wanted to either have my leisure
time, or get real work done. And spending time configuring stuff (that
in Windows just worked out of the box) is not a productive use of one's
time in any way, shape or form.

True, this was like 10 years ago and Linux distros got better, but so
has Windows, and nowdays there is little motivation now for me to try a
different OS/desktop-environment.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer