std.allocator needs your help

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Sep 23 07:10:09 PDT 2013

On 9/23/13 12:31 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-09-23 01:49, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> I am making good progress on the design of std.allocator, and I am
>> optimistic about the way it turns out. D's introspection capabilities
>> really shine through, and in places the design does feel really
>> archetypal - e.g. "this is the essence of a freelist allocator". It's a
>> very good feeling. The overall inspiration comes from Berger's
>> HeapLayers, but D's introspection takes that pattern to a whole new
>> level.
>
> I agree with Manu here. I thought the whole point was to come up with a
> design and API how the allocators are supposed to be used. How they
> integrate with user code.

This is a disconnect. I say "Well, I'm exploring car engines and this
Otto cycle looks promising, here's how a transmission would work, and
the brake system would be hydraulic..." and you say "but I want to know
how to drive a car, and road regulations, and laws!"

Both are important, but they are very difficult to handle simultaneously
in the same conversation.

Andrei