std.allocator needs your help

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 07:50:02 PDT 2013

On 24 September 2013 00:05, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 9/22/13 10:37 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> On 9/22/2013 9:19 PM, Manu wrote:
>>
>>> Following this train of thought, I can imagine a really nice end goal
>>> would be
>>> that the existing GC is effectively plugged in as a library, and
>>> people can
>>> easily substitute it for their own GC if they want/need to.
>>>

>> It already is, and has been from the beginning. Rainer, for example,
>> uses a different GC for VisualD.
>>

> Correct.
>

>  dmd knows naught about the GC.
>>

> Well except for plugging a library call for calls to new. But that's
> expected.
>
> (I'm already pretending delete doesn't exist :o).)

delete is important if your class is being allocated by a pool or
something...
But you said before, people won't use 'new' if they are using an allocator.
I'm really not sure that's a good idea.
Most people (library authors!) don't actually care about their memory
allocation, they will continue to use 'new', just because it's a keyword.
It also screws with generic code; X should be allocated with 'new', but Y
should be allocated with yAllocator.alloc()?
What if you decide that Z, which allocates with 'new', becomes a problem
and you want to switch it into a pool? You now need to track down every
instance of 'new Z', and change it.