std.allocator needs your help

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:01:46 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 22 September 2013 at 23:49:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hello,

First of all, awesome !

Now the meeeeh part.

I really think the it thing is not good. I don't think it is
desirable or necessary. We should get rid of it.

You can't deal with ubyte[] like that, that is incorrect in
regard to - unimplemented - aliasing rules. Allocator should deal
with void[] .

What you call safe really isn't. Allocate something on the GC,
store a pointer on a custom allocated location, collect, enjoy
the memory corruption. All operation are safe according to your
proposal. Allocation can only be safe if the GRAND MASTER GC is
aware of it.

You proposal allocate shared memory. This is common in C/C++
world as memory is shared by default, but shouldn't be in D. It
is highly desirable to allocate with different methods for
different type qualifier. How does your design adapt to that ?

Finally, we got to decide how these basics block are used to form
typed allocators, and interact with language constructs.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, it is really ate here
and I can't read the whole thread, especially since Manu is on
steroids :D