D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Sep 23 10:29:33 PDT 2013

On Sep 21, 2013, at 10:22 PM, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 9/21/2013 8:54 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> I don't think it should be a priority, but rejecting the idea outright is
>> shortsighted in my opinion.
>
> I'm not rejecting the idea outright. I've actually implemented this in the dmc compiler. It's just not terribly useful, and it has costs.

I'd consider it in a similar class as the dictionary lookup that occurs when an unknown symbol is encountered.  Totally unnecessary, but it's a nice time-saver.  Is it clang that displays the line in error with a carat underneath the error?  Though if there really isn't an efficient way to do it in DMD then I don't think it's worthwhile.  I was only thinking of the parser when I mentioned the beginning-of-line pointer.  I hadn't considered the AST.