Debugging support for D - wiki

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 12:50:32 PDT 2013

I'm looking to begin adding integrated debugger support for the DDT IDE
pretty soon. With this in mind it would be desirable to have a view of
what level of D language debugger support is there for the various
combinations of platform+compiler+debugger.

This information would be quite beneficial to regular D users as well,
as Manu's recent thread on the importance of a debugger is any
indication of. Yet there doesn't seem to be any info about this in the
wiki. The debuggers wiki page ( http://wiki.dlang.org/Debuggers )
doesn't even list the main players in this scene (VisualD/Mago, GDB,
WinDebugger?)

I might get started with this, but I would need to enlist the help of
other people for the other platforms/debuggers I don't have proper acess to.

The only combinations I tried so far was DMD+Windows+GDB, which seems
like it's not supported at all. And GDC+Windows32+GDB which does seem to
be well supported (GDB understands D name mangling, breakpoints in
source, D data structures layout, etc.). I'm guessing GDC+GDB on Linux
works just as well. (what about Mac though?)

Several questions remain:
Is debugger support with DMD+Linux+GDB as good as it is with GDC?
For DMD+Windows, is there only good debugger support with VisualD? :-(
And how well does that work with 32/64 bit platform variations?

It would be great to have these answered, and going forward, keeping
track of this info in the wiki.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer