[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Craig Dillabaugh cdillaba at cg.scs.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 23 17:30:31 PDT 2013

On Monday, 23 September 2013 at 21:21:23 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:

clip

> Yea, I find installing software is often (not always, but often)
> *easier* on Linux these days, thanks to apt and such. It used
> to be a
> nightmare of dependency issues in the days of dpkg/rpm[1]. But
> now,
> most of the time it's just one trivial command. Done. Or if you
> prefer
> GUIs, the...uhh...what's it called, Synaptec?, is just as easy,
> *and*
> good for discoverability: It's basically a freeware app store,
> but
> Linux had it even *before* iOS.

Just a short story to reinforce the above point.  In our Grad Lab
at school the girl I sat beside was also the system admin.  One
day I was working and I needed a piece of software that wasn't
installed on my computer. So I asked her if she could install it
when she had the chance.

She said "sure" and asked me for the PC name I was working on so
I to told her, and then I said, "No great rush, but can you let
me know when you have it installed". Without a pause she just
said, "It's already installed".  I typed the command and the
program started.  Total time 6 or 7 seconds.

I was very impressed (the lab computers ran Ubuntu).

Craig