std.allocator needs your help

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Sep 23 22:31:19 PDT 2013

On 9/23/13 9:56 PM, Manu wrote:
> You can't go wasting GPU memory by overallocating every block.

Only the larger chunk may need to be overallocated if all allocations
are then rounded up.

> It's definitely important that allocator's are able to receive an
> alignment request, and give them the opportunity to fulfill a dynamic
> alignment request without always resorting to an over-allocation strategy.

I'd need a bit of convincing. I'm not sure everybody needs to pay for a
few, and it is quite possible that malloc_align suffers from the same
fragmentation issues as the next guy. Also, there's always the
possibility of leaving some bits to lower-level functions.

Andrei