std.allocator needs your help

Dan Schatzberg dschatz at hidden.edu
Tue Sep 24 04:38:28 PDT 2013

One thing I'm not sure is addressed by this design is memory
locality. I know of libnuma http://linux.die.net/man/3/numa which
allows me to express what NUMA domain my memory should be
allocated from at run-time for each allocation.

In the case that I want to allocate memory in a specific NUMA
domain (not just local vs non-local), I believe this design is
insufficient because the number of domains are only known at
run-time.

Also, as far as alignment is concerned I will throw in that x86
is relatively unique in having a statically known cache-line
size. Both ARM and PowerPC cores can differ in their cache-line
sizes. I feel this is a significant argument for the ability to
dynamically express alignment.