D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 24 16:38:21 PDT 2013

On 9/24/13 1:29 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/23/2013 11:38 AM, bearophile wrote:
>> 2) The other improvement I'd like for D error messages and warnings is to give a
>> standard error number. This is a simple improvement, but it makes simpler to
>> write explanation pages for the errors. The C# compiler and other compilers have
>> them.
>
> I used to do that, but again, it was a completely unwanted feature, and I abandoned it.
>
> It's simple enough to grep for the error message text, and I myself prefer to do the grep method.
>
> What makes me grumpy is people only want these things when some other compiler does it, sort of a
> bandwagon thing.

I think it's less a bandwagon thing and more a the bar has been raised thing.  30 years ago ide's
were essentially unheard of.  Tooling around compilers and languages was almost non-existent.  The
picture and expectations about user friendliness today are drastically different.  The past is not a
perfect predictor of the present.