D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Sep 24 16:52:06 PDT 2013

On 9/24/2013 4:38 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> I think it's less a bandwagon thing and more a the bar has been raised thing.
> 30 years ago ide's were essentially unheard of.  Tooling around compilers and
> languages was almost non-existent.  The picture and expectations about user
> friendliness today are drastically different.  The past is not a perfect
> predictor of the present.

Borland pretty much invented the modern IDE back in the 80's, and before then
Emacs served as an IDE (it was able to parse compiler output and display the
location of errors and the associated messages).

Besides, the ^ thing was for those who didn't use IDEs, not for people who do.

I'd have a different attitude about it if just one person had ever said "cool"
when I showed them that feature, and even in the (several) times this has come
up before in this ng, and I point out that dmc does it, the reaction seems to be
faint annoyance that dmc did it decades before clang :-)

grump grump grump

BTW, I don't really recall if dmc invented the feature or if I'd seen it before
on some other compiler. Too long ago.