D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Maxim Fomin maxim at maxim-fomin.ru
Wed Sep 25 02:00:52 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 25 September 2013 at 07:39:32 UTC, eles wrote:
>> DMC? A compiler which produces obsolete object format which is
>> not produced by anyone else and which is a reason of why dmd
>> users experience problems in windows platform?
>
> All that might be true, however I feel like is not fair to
> criticize DMC in such harsh words.
>
> First, because one should judge a compiler wrt its pairs (of
> the same age).

I am not judging DMC compiler. I am essentially judging the
author who decided not to invest time and sources into supporting
proper object format for dmd on win32.

> Second, because I think it was quite a breakthrough at its
> time, and history should be respected, even if becomes obsolete
> (what does not?). One should not criticize IBM PC for being
> obsolete *today*.

Where and which history did I disrespected?

> Third, because it is real (and hard) work behind that DMC
> compiler and it is available for free. Maybe not the latest,
> nor the greatest, but is a contribution to the software world
> and this should be appreciated. Besides, all work should be
> respected and appreciated. It is hard to work, and it is even
> harder to work hard.

Who says that writing a compiler is a picnic? By the way, if you
decided to raise the issue, I can say that someone doesn't need
to move stuff from one backend file to another without obvious
end-user value when there are outcrying problems with D
implementation.

> Fourth, because it attracted C/C++ fans to D. It is my case: I
> crawled the Internet back then in the search for a free C/C++
> compiler, being a bit disappointed by Borland's (I think 5.5
> was "freed") suite, specifically... its error messages. I gave
> DMC a try, then got caught into the D thing...

Did DMC attracted you to D? That's fine but I doubt it attracted
at least 4 more persons. In my opinion most were attracted by
completely different reasons.

> Fifth, because as obsolete as DMC might be, it provided Walter
> a lot of experience and this lead him to D in the first place.
> Yes, me too I would prefer main focus to shift on GDC or LDC
> but, at the end of the day, I must acknowledge the fact that if
> DMC and Walter did not exist, with all shortcomings of DMC,
> we'd have today no GDC, nor LDC to complain about those not
> being given priority.

What does this have to do with object format?