D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Jason King jhking at airmail.net
Wed Sep 25 06:03:42 PDT 2013

> Of course, we can cheat and use a byte to store the column
> number, as after all, nobody has more than 256 columns.
>
> Then you get a bug report where someone does. So raise it to an
> unsigned short, then, sigh, you get another bug report where
> someone's entire source file is on one line, and on it goes.

I realize putting "maximum line length 32767 characters" is an
arbitrary limit, but if you add that to the language spec and
make your column counter an unsigned short you're good forever.
This might break some existing code but I can't imagine it would
be much.
There are advantages to owning the language spec!