Need help to finish DMD zip/7z release generator (alpha release)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Sep 25 06:36:51 PDT 2013

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 08:59:04 +0200
Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario at gmx.de> wrote:

> I retried and had the issue with access to
> %TEMP%/".create_dmd_release problem problem during startup again.
> This time it was TortoiseGitCache holding a handle to that directory.
> Killing that process helped.

Yea, Windows is a pain with file/directory locking :/

> [OT: I noticed it uses a VB script
> to do the download. Shudder ;-) Here is a http-get function without
> needing curl:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/visuald/blob/master/stdext/httpget.d
> , though I don't know how usable it is. ]

I admit, the VBScript thing is a bit of a hack. On the upside, the
actual connection/dload is handled by a lib that's been in Windows for
some time, so hopefully it should be pretty battle-hardened. I'll
definitely keep yours in mind in the future, I think that's awesome to
have. But in the interest of getting this (and some other things) out
the door I think I'll keep it as-is for now.

> I usually don't have these paths added because the folders contain
> too many executables that try to replace more useful versions of them
> (lib,link,shell,make). I'd prefer if you could specify the path to
> dmc as an option, but it's not a big deal as the task of building the
> release is pretty special anyway.

It's a nice idea, but as you say it's not real critical right now.

> It would be nice if rdmd is used from the current build, though.

Agreed, and now fixed.

> After the successful build I tried the 64-bit build. It stopped here:
>
> Building Druntime 64-bit
> Entering dir:
> C:\Users\Rainer\AppData\Local\Temp\.create_dmd_release\druntime
> Running: make MODEL=64 DMD=../dmd/src/dmd -f win64.mak
>[...]
> "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC"\bin\amd64\cl
> -c /Z7 /I"\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 10.0\VC"\INCLUDE /I"\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
> SDKs\Windows\v7.0A"\Include src\core\stdc\errno.c -Foerrno_c.obj
> Error: '\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 10.0\VC\bin\amd64\cl' not found
> Entering dir: C:\tmp\d\installer2\create_dmd_release\x
> create_dmd_release: Error: Command failed (ran from dir
> 'C:\Users\Rainer\AppData\Local\Temp\.create_dmd_release\druntime'):
> make MODEL=64 DMD=../dmd/src/dmd -f win64.mak
>
> This happens because the VCDIR variable is not passed to the makefile
> (to work with VS2012+ you'll have to pass CC and AR explicitely as
> the path to the binaries inside the VS installation has changed).

Ugh, I wish MS would just pick a design as stick with it :/... I'll try
to take care of that. On the bright side though, this *should* be the
final critical issue blocking create_dmd_release from meeting its basic
charter and being "pull request"-ready. Everything else seems to be
working fine now on Windows and various Posixen in all my tests so far,
so fingers crossed...