Debugging support for D - wiki

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 06:45:46 PDT 2013

On 23/09/2013 23:57, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 23 September 2013 20:50, Bruno Medeiros
> <brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking to begin adding integrated debugger support for the DDT IDE
>> pretty soon. With this in mind it would be desirable to have a view of what
>> level of D language debugger support is there for the various combinations
>> of platform+compiler+debugger.
>>
>> This information would be quite beneficial to regular D users as well, as
>> Manu's recent thread on the importance of a debugger is any indication of.
>> Yet there doesn't seem to be any info about this in the wiki. The debuggers
>> wiki page ( http://wiki.dlang.org/Debuggers ) doesn't even list the main
>> players in this scene (VisualD/Mago, GDB, WinDebugger?)
>>

>> I might get started with this, but I would need to enlist the help of other
>> people for the other platforms/debuggers I don't have proper acess to.
>>
>> The only combinations I tried so far was DMD+Windows+GDB, which seems like
>> it's not supported at all. And GDC+Windows32+GDB which does seem to be well
>> supported (GDB understands D name mangling, breakpoints in source, D data
>> structures layout, etc.). I'm guessing GDC+GDB on Linux works just as well.
>> (what about Mac though?)
>>

> GDB doesn't understand D mangling.  We currently leverage the use of
> setting pretty-print names for debugging purposes, but you require to
> put the names in 'quotation.marks' - I will fix this sometime this
> year... maybe. :)

Perhaps I described it incorrectly then. What I mean is that most
references and displays of D symbols are made using proper D names, and
not mangled names (as you might get if you run it through a pure C/C++
debugger). I've haven't yet seen something like "_D8func_mod5funczFZv"
on GDB compiled with GDC.

BTW, when do you need to use quotation marks (other than printing global
variables)? I didnt need to use quotation marks to set function
breakpoints. (I'm a GDB newbie so I'm still exploring the functionality
it has.)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer