Debugging support for D - wiki

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 07:46:19 PDT 2013

On 24/09/2013 07:19, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-09-23 21:50, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> (what about Mac though?)
>
> The sate of debugging on Mac OS X is worse than on Linux. There are a
> couple of problems:
>
> * D symbols need to be prefixed with an extra underscore
>
> * The GDB system debugger is very old. It doesn't have the D patches the
> upstream GDB has. Apple is using LLDB as the new system debugger
> instead, which doesn't have any D patches at all

Ehhh? What's up with Mac OS X and all those outdated operating system
managed installations? (I'm referring to the similar issues with had
with the JVM)
Can't you easily install a newer GDB yourself, outside of Mac OS
management? If it can be done even in Windows (with Cygwin or MSYS),
surely it can in Mac as well, no?

> * Line numbers don't work. Probably some issue with incorrect DWARF
> generated

What are the implications? Does this mean you canr create a breakpoint
for a given source file line?

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer