D2 is really that stable as it is claimed to be?

Arjan arjan at ask.me
Wed Sep 25 12:51:35 PDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:53:41 +0200, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>
wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, I don't believe the dmc user base secretly loved that
>>> feature. Which is why I dropped it from dmd, despite having spent
>>> significant time making it work nice in dmc.
>>
>> That is the exact opposite. People that like feature rich compiler
>> already use another compiler. People that like minimal tooling and
>> speed uses DMC.
>
> I don't know. I liked DMC specifically because of the nifty features. I
> used VC++ for the debugging environment. But then I never worked on a
> Windows project where compile time was a problem. The really big stuff
> (ie. millions of LOC) has always been on some variant of Unix.

Well we extensively used Symantec C/C++ and later DMC on various large
projects om Windows. And I did appreciate the error caret in DMC at the
time. I really loved the compiler and IDDE back then. We also used
compilers from other vendors (Borland Watcom IBM KAI MS). The most
remarkable memories are of course the compile speed but also (for a long
time) the performance of the generated code!
An other thing we really really really loved was the speed in response on
reporting compiler bugs! Almost every time within 2 or 3 days we received
a 'fixed' compiler in our inbox from Walter! (Thank You Walter!)
Also often times DMC captured programming bugs during compilation not
found by the Borland Watcom or MS compilers.
It wasn't until 2004/2005 before I switched to VS2003/vS2005 because DMC
was getting to much behind and the MS compiler had improved a lot.

Arjan