dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Sep 26 04:17:28 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 26 September 2013 at 06:59:05 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-09-25 18:14, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> But this is all for development-time usage. To have the same
>> tool try to
>> be an executable installation manager is another thing
>> entirely and, in
>> my opinion quite ill-suited for dub (see related OP). Where
>> did this
>> idea even come from??
>
> If dub doesn't install packages, why the h*ll should I use it
> in the first place? I can just use the system package manager.

Good look getting all those small trivial libraries into official
repositories. Actually, some distros even prohibit pure source
packages at all.

You should install it because you are tired of satisfying build
dependencies manually and it is a bit more robust than git
submodules. Pretty much all.