dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Sep 26 04:27:27 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 26 September 2013 at 10:18:07 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> Install packages: yes, but locally, primarily for
> dub/development use. Not system-level library installations for
> end-users.
>
> I think when people are talking about not wanting it to install
> things they are talking about the latter, not the former.

I am against even user-wide installation. It should provide
environment for building other dub packages, not interfere with
normal way system operates. Lot of developers are terrible at
packaging and once you provide even limited tool to do it "dirty"
way it will be forced on users. This has already made ruby
projects unusable for anyone but ruby developers, I don't want
this for D.

AFAIK currently `dub install` does hardly anything more than just
cloning matching repository and remembering it in local registry.
`dub cache` would have been probably better name. And `dub
install --system` should really just be deprecated as very bad
practice.