dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Sep 26 07:25:05 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 26 September 2013 at 14:20:53 UTC, Bruno Medeiros
wrote:
> On 26/09/2013 12:39, Dicebot wrote:
>> During development you can pretty much run in locally from the
>> source
>> dir. For end user distribution you must go system-specific way.
>
> To be fair, I don't entirely agree with this. End user
> distribution/installation doesn't have to be system-specific. I
> can see many interesting and useful use-cases for a
> cross-platform user application package manager. It might be a
> real cool project if done properly.
> I just don't think dub should aim for that goal. It should
> mainly be a build tool and package manager for development-time
> usage.

I mean that it must respect rules and guidelines of target
system. It is entirely possible to abstract lot of details away,
there is a PackageKit for example it it does work pretty good.
But it works by incorporating knowledge of all specific package
managers and quirks inside, something I don't think we want to
spend time on in dub.