Debugging support for D - wiki

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 26 11:17:51 PDT 2013

On Sep 25, 2013 7:35 PM, "Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 25 September 2013 at 14:46:20 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>
>> Ehhh? What's up with Mac OS X and all those outdated operating system
managed installations? (I'm referring to the similar issues with had with
the JVM)

> Apple has abandoned the GCC tool chain. They're betting all on the LLVM
tool chain. That means Clang and LLDB, not GCC and GDB. It's possible the
still use the linker from GCC.

Linker from binutils.  :)

> The issue with JVM is that previously Apple shipped JVM, but since Mac OS
X Lion Oracle ships JVM instead. For some reason Eclipse refused to run the
JVM shipped by Oracle, this has been reported.

>> Can't you easily install a newer GDB yourself, outside of Mac OS
management? If it can be done even in Windows (with Cygwin or MSYS), surely
it can in Mac as well, no?

> Of course you can. It's possible to install using Macports, possibly
using Homebrew as well. Although I heard there was some issue with that
version of GDB, one need to use sudo. I have not verified that myself.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it's gcc-4.1 and gdb version that works with
that compiler that is in macports.  Though that is just heresay - I don't
/actually/ know.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw