Incremental builds?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 27 00:55:07 PDT 2013

On Friday, 27 September 2013 at 06:40:22 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> I don't know how others think about incremental compilation.
> But I'm don't think about compiling each file separately. I'm
> thinking about compiling only what's changed and compile all
> those files in one go.
>
> That would mean the first time you compile a project it would
> compile all files at once, just as most people do today. Then
> when some files are changed it will only compile those, in one
> go.
>
> This should at least in theory speed up the compilation. But
> perhaps most projects are too small to actually make a
> difference in practice.

With recent change of verbose dmd output for template
dependencies it should kind of work (worked for me in simple
tests). Problem is that it does not work when all changed
dependencies are compiled at once, only one by one - thus it is
not worth it until really big projects.