Debugging support for D - wiki

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Sep 27 04:43:52 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-27 12:52, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

> Blocks is a C language extension by Apple. I suspect that Modules is the
> same, although I couldn't google it quickly. Therefore this doesn't
> really affect pure D development. Rather, it's significance would be the
> same as of the use case of using Mac OS X specific libraries.

Both are LLVM extensions. They're not specific to Mac OS X, but they
currently only work on Mac OS X. It's the only platform where they're
implemented.

As I said, it should be possible to use blocks from D, if one really
needs to. I'm also looking at this long term. Hopefully we can use D on
iOS one day, that would mean pretty much only use Apple specific API.
Also creating a GUI applications usually requires to use platform
specific API's.

I prefer to write cross-platform code as long as it's possible. But have
no problem in using platform specific API's if that enhances the user
experience.

> GDC does not supporting TLS (not even emulated TLS)?? That is a major
> problem though!! :( It's more than major, it pretty much breaks D
> development on Mac for anything other than just toy projects (with GDC
> that is).

I have not used GDC myself in a long time. But on all the talks I've
seen by Iain Buclaw, he mentions TLS on Mac OS X.

> Well, I'm pretty much conviced anyways: better to support LLDB to have
> the best debugging support for Mac OS X.

Great.

> I'm not too annoyed since I planned to support LDC/LLDB anyways, as it seems a worthwhile
> platform/compiler as much as GDC even for other platforms. But it would
> still have been nice if GDC where to work properly on Mac.

If you're lucky you can use the same debugging code for GDB and LLDB.
Since LLDB is supposed to have many of the GDB commands as aliases.

On the other hand LLDB is built as a library so if you really wanted to
you could integrate it directly in the plugin.

--
/Jacob Carlborg