dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 06:00:57 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 26 September 2013 at 14:20:53 UTC, Bruno Medeiros
wrote:

> To be fair, I don't entirely agree with this. End user
> distribution/installation doesn't have to be system-specific. I
> can see many interesting and useful use-cases for a
> cross-platform user application package manager. It might be a
> real cool project if done properly.

That's CPAN.  You just described CPAN.  It supports both system
and user level package installing, bails properly when build deps
are missing, and has enough metadata that we can support it from
the system package manager for proper system-level depgraph and
file tracking.  If there's a wheel we want to steal or reinvent,
this is THE one.

But I think it's important to remember it would be complete cat
puke like ruby packaging if they didn't have PAUSE [0]; clear,
moderately-strict submission guidelines [1] (especially for
newcomers); and PrePAN, for feedback and discussion BEFORE it
goes up.

The latter, and community involvement in general, is possibly the
most important aspect of this process because the community is
ultimately your userbase. (It's not so knock-down/drag-out as
Phobos module reviews, but it's a great source of sanity
checking.[2])

-Wyatt

[0] http://www.cpan.org/modules/04pause.html Recommend reading
the whole thing.