dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 27 06:43:58 PDT 2013

On Friday, 27 September 2013 at 13:29:26 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> Unless we're talking about different things, that's denoted in
> the META.json (I don't recall if the distinction existed in the
> META.yaml era) with e.g.
>     "release_status" : "stable",
> or
>     "release_status" : "testing",

No, I mean that it does not make any difference between "programs
written in perl to be widely used" and "libraries / tools for
development in perl". For interpreted languages this distinction
hardly makes sense, but for natively compiled ones it is pretty
important.

And that was kind of the core point of the argument - can
language-specific package manager be allowed to manage the
former? I stand by the point that is a bad practice to provide
any functionality that allows it, Jacob has opposite point of
view :)